Ask the Experts

Who Is Qualified to Diagnose My Child with ADHD?

“Who should diagnose my child with ADHD: a school counselor or a pediatrician?”

ADHD is a medical diagnosis. Although it’s often a teacher or family member who first suspects ADHD, and feedback from teachers, therapists, and parents is vital in helping a doctor establish a chronic and pervasive history of hyperactivity and/or inattention and/or impulsivity, a medical doctor must make the formal diagnosis. Start by seeing your son or daughter’s pediatrician.