Ask the Experts

Where to Look for ADHD Answers for Adults

“My wife suspects that I have ADHD. How do I find a location where I can take a diagnostic test? (I suspect I may also have depression.)”

If you suspect you might have ADHD, it is important to see a professional who knows and understands about this disorder. There is no formal test to make the diagnosis. The process is to first establish that a person meets the criteria for the kind of inattention, hyperactivity and/or impulsivity that characterize ADHD. Then, if one or more of these behaviors exists, it is necessary to demonstrate that these behaviors have been present since childhood and that they impact on two or more areas of life (work, family, social relationships, school etc.).

If you are depressed, it is important to determine if the behaviors your wife observes are due to the depression or an underlying ADHD. I cannot give you the names of specific people who can help you, but you can contact your local chapter of CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder).

Learning To Let Go

How an ADHD Diagnosis and Treatment Can Change Your Life for the Better