“Sensory-Smart Strategies for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder and ADHD” [Video Replay & Podcast #304]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#304), and download the slide presentation for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on May 7, 2020.
Sensory sensitivities are a common but misunderstood problem that affect behavior, influencing the way children learn, move, relate to others, and feel about themselves.
About 40 percent of people with ADHD also have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), a condition that causes over- or under-sensitivity to touch sensations, movement, sounds and other stimuli. Sensory issues interfere with children’s participation and enjoyment in everyday experiences at home, at school, and out in the world. Here, top experts Carol Kranowitz and Lindsey Biel will offer an effective approach for supporting kids with overlapping disorders. Listen and learn from Lindsey Biel, M.A., OTR/L, and Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A., about:
- On-the-spot, sensory strategies for helping children with SPD and ADHD function better in commonly problematic situations when out and about (playground, barbershop, birthday party)
- Strategies for everyday situations when at home (grooming, dressing, doing chores)
- Strategies to encourage more confident work and play at school
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; iHeartRADIO.
Read More on Sensory Processing Disorder from Lindsey Biel and Carol Kranowitz
Meet the Expert Speakers
Lindsey Biel, M.A., OTR/L, is an occupational therapist with a private practice in New York City where she evaluates and treats children, teens, and young adults with sensory processing issues, autism spectrum disorders, and other challenges. She is co-author of the award-winning Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues, with a foreword by Temple Grandin. She is also the author of Sensory Processing Challenges: Effective Clinical Work with Kids & Teens, co-created the Sensory Processing Master Class DVD program, and has authored two chapters in Dr. William Steele’s book Optimizing Learning Outcomes. She teaches workshops to parents, teachers, therapists, doctors, and others across the country. Visit Lindsey at sensorysmarts.com for downloadable checklists, articles, webcasts and more.| See expert’s full bio »
Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A., a former music and movement teacher, introduced Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) to parents and educators around the world through her groundbreaking book, The Out-of-Sync Child. This first book in the “Sync” series has sold a million copies and ranks among the top ten books about children with disabilities. Her most recent publications are the Spanish translation, El Niño Desincronizado (April 2020), and a new sequel, The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up: Coping with SPD in the Adolescent and Young Adult Years. www.carolstockkranowitz.com| See expert’s full bio »
As an Amazon Associate, ADDitude earns a commission from qualifying purchases made by ADDitude readers on the affiliate links we share.
- “I thought this was very instructive and gave lots of amazing tips and tricks to work on with kids and teens who struggle with ADHD and SPD.”
- “Love these two — they are so knowledgeable and so personable.”
- “I thought this was a webinar packed full of information. I loved hearing both ladies speak today, thank you!”
- “Excellent research and practical input. Very valuable to myself as an educator. Thank you!”
- “So informative. I enjoyed the different activity ideas. I can’t wait to try out the other resources that you have listed.”