Free Webinar Replay: Beyond Dyslexia: Overcoming Reading Challenges for Kids with ADHD
In this hour-long webinar-on-demand, learn how to recognize the symptoms of a reading problem like dyslexia with Dr. Robin McEvoy.
Dyslexia is a reading disorder, but not all reading disorders are dyslexia (which is a surprise to many parents and even some reading specialists). One in five young students struggles with reading. Knowing the source of the reading problem and recognizing that symptoms can vary widely even among children with the same diagnosis are both critical for planning the proper course of action. Here’s how to develop a plan for your child and to bring pleasure to the reading process.
This webinar will address:
- The accepted definition of dyslexia — and common misconceptions
- Common sources of reading challenges — language processing weaknesses, impaired auditory processing, and visual processing problems, among others
- Practical and fun strategies for building reading skills over the summer using both professional support and “do-it-yourself” strategies
- Developing a back-to-school reading game plan, plus planning for school accommodations and remediation
- The many faces of ADHD and reading challenges — meaning there is no single type of challenge, nor one single best solution
- Strategies for encouraging a reluctant reader by making reading fun
Meet the Expert Speaker:
Dr. Robin McEvoy is a developmental neuropsychologist practicing in Denver, Colorado. She evaluates and diagnoses a wide range of learning disabilities and learning needs in children, adolescents and adults. This includes the identification of reading disabilities such as dyslexia. She then works with the family to develop a treatment plan to remediate the weaknesses and accentuate strengths. In addition to her private practice, Dr. McEvoy is an assistant professor at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. Dr. McEvoy has authored a children’s book, Buddy: A Story for Dyslexia (illustrated by her daughter). She is the co-author/editor of Child Decoded: Unlocking Complex Issues in Your Child’s Learning, Behavior, and Attention (www.childdecoded.com). You can read more about Robin McEvoy at her website www.robinmcevoy.com. You can also follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/DrRobinMcEvoy.
Webinar replays include:
- Slides accompanying the webinar
- Related resources from ADDitude
- Free newsletter updates about ADHD
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on July 26, 2017. ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.
Reading Buddy Software is advanced speech recognition technology that listens, responds, and teaches as your child reads. Children who use Reading Buddy Software for 3 months improve their reading skills by 50%. www.ReadingBuddySoftware.com
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.