“Screen Use and Abuse: Create a Healthy Video Game Diet for Your Child with ADHD” [Video Replay & Podcast #284]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#284), and download the slide presentation for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on January 28, 2020.
Does your child spend all of his free time playing video games? Far too many children use their recreational time sitting in front of a screen zoning out trying to master League of Legends and Fortnite, or watching YouTube. It’s worse for children who have been diagnosed with ADHD. The multimodal stimulation and immediate feedback video games deliver are the exact ingredients that grab the attention of kids with ADHD. Playing video games may be the one activity that makes a child with ADHD feel good about his focus and effort.
Limiting video game use at home is extremely challenging. In fact, many parents are concerned that their kids are addicted to video games, and they don’t know how to best break the habit. Should they ban video games completely? Set schedules and daily limits? Monitor their child’s game play?
Dr. Randy Kulman and James Daley will explain the difference between screen-time use and abuse. In this webinar, you will learn:
- How to understand the differences between “addicted,” “engaged,” “passionate,” and “normal” gamers
- Practical strategies for building a healthy Play Diet
- Strategies for transforming screen-based play, with games like Fortnite, into productive learning opportunities
- Manage screen abuse with the latest, most effective parental control tools
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; iHeartRADIO.
More on Video Games and Screen Use:
- Free Download: Guide to Brain-Boosting Video Games
- ADDitude-Approved Video and Computer Games for Children
- More Face Time, Less Screen Time
- eBook: Video Games and the ADHD Brain
Meet the Expert Speakers:
Randy Kulman, Ph.D., is the founder and president of LearningWorks for Kids (learningworksforkids.com), an educational technology company that specializes in using video games to teach executive-functioning and academic skills. For the past 30 years, Dr. Kulman has also been the clinical director and president of South County Child and Family Consultants, a private practice that specializes in the assessment of children with executive functioning and attention difficulties. Additionally, Dr. Kulman is the author of numerous essays and book chapters on the use of digital technologies for improving executive-functioning skills in children.| See expert’s full bio »
James Daley is the Vice President and Creative Director at LearningWorks for Kids. James oversees the editorial direction, design, and content production for all of LearningWorks for Kid’s websites and publications, working to ensure the quality of content and consistency of vision across diverse and evolving media platforms. In addition to his duties at LW4K, James instructs digital writing for the University of Rhode Island, while doggedly carrying on his passion for “paper-based media” as an author and editor.| See expert’s full bio »
- “I loved the whole play & play diet model. Healthy, balanced play will be easy to conceptualize when sharing this dinner plate graphic with my children. Thank you!”
- “I think it is great that you all are keeping consistent with the change in technology and how our societal and technological evolutions impact ADHD.”
- “This was the most helpful and informative webinar I have attended thus far!”
- “I really appreciated the clear guidelines for setting up good screen time behaviors!!”
Play Attention: Enhance brain health and performance. Play Attention utilizes NASA inspired technology to strengthen Executive Function and Self-Regulation. We will customize your plan and help you thrive at home, school, and work. Learn how you can make ADHD your Superpower! Click here for a FREE consultation or call 828-676-2240. www.playattention.com
Mention AdditudeMag0220 and receive 10% off your home or professional program + one FREE ADHD Assessment.
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.