“A Parent’s Guide to Mindfulness and Self-Regulation Strategies for Children with ADHD” [Video Replay & Podcast #251]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#251), download the slide presentation for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on July 8, 2019.
Have you ever tried to calm a child in the throes of an ADHD meltdown? Do you find yourself using language such as “calm down, take a deep breath,” or “you need to stop”? These parenting strategies are common — and commonly ineffective.
The best way to address a child’s difficult reactions — anger, yelling, melting down — is to not address the reactions at all! Instead, focus on the response. When the body is quiet, and the child is attentive, that is when we work on our ability to respond to the environment and those around us. In other words, our parenting techniques must be “proactive not reactive!”
A child’s behaviors are tied to his or her nervous system and senses. The most effective strategies for helping children with attention deficit disorder (ADHD or ADD) learn to self-regulate are simple techniques — including mindful ADHD meditation and sense-soothing techniques — to improve focus and help manage emotions.
- Why children with ADHD have trouble regulating their emotions
- How primitive reflexes connect to social skills and behavior
- How to build and enhance self-regulation with ADHD meditation
- How to activate the vagus nervous system to improve emotional control
- Mindfulness exercises designed to calm and center an unsettled child
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Amazon Music; iHeartRADIO.
More on Mindfulness
- Natural Remedies for ADHD: Treatment Without Medication
- Your Child’s Brain on Mindful Meditation
- How Deep Breathing Opens Up the ADHD Brain
- Green Time: A Natural Remedy for ADHD Symptoms
Meet the Expert Speaker
Varleisha D. Gibbs Ph.D., OTD, OTR/L, is an associate professor, international lecturer, researcher, and author of Self-Regulation and Mindfulness. Dr. Gibbs began her career after receiving her baccalaureate degree in Psychology from the University of Delaware. She continued her studies in the field of Occupational Therapy. Dr. Gibbs received a Master’s of Science degree from Columbia University and a clinical doctorate from Thomas Jefferson University. Additionally, Dr. Gibbs completed her Ph.D. program in Health Sciences Leadership at Seton Hall University. | See expert’s full bio »
- “Did not think much about mindfulness before. Thank you for the excellent presentation! Will look into it more.”
- “Thank you! This is a great platform for me to learn how to effectively work with my students struggling with ADHD.”
- “Dr. Gibbs was very helpful. I really appreciated her expertise and how she made the ideas “workable” in the classroom.”
Play Attention: Enhance brain health, performance, and mindfulness. Play Attention is the leading neurocognitive training program designed to strengthen Executive Function and Self-Regulation. The comprehensive Play Attention system includes NASA inspired technology, mindfulness training, cognitive training, behavior shaping, parent coaching, and much more. Call 828-676-2240 or click, http://www.playattention.com/index.php/professional-consultation to schedule a free professional consultation and ADHD assessment.| www.playattention.com
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.