“The Secret to Making Friends: A People Skills Guide for Adults with ADHD” [Video Replay & Podcast #293]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#293), download the slide presentation, and learn how to get a certificate of attendance for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on March 25, 2020.
NOTE: Watch the replay and receive a coupon code for 20% off ADDitude’s new ebook, “How to Make Friends: A Guide for Adults with ADHD.”
FREE RESOURCE: Click here to receive a video about ending “TMI”
Social communication affects every aspect of an adult’s life — getting along with coworkers and bosses, interviewing for a job, maintaining friendships and romantic relationships, even attending social gatherings like a wedding or a birthday party without feeling stressed or inadequate. Making and keeping new friends is hard enough, and adults with ADHD face additional challenges with symptoms like impulsivity and inattention, which can get in the way of meaningful connection. What’s more, ADHD is often accompanied by comorbid conditions like anxiety or the shame of rejection sensitive dysphoria, both of which affect relationships.
When you reach out, do you often say or do the wrong thing — or forget to follow up or stay in touch with friends you make? Is it easier to withdraw and stay home than put yourself out there and risk making social blunders? Understanding the ADHD brain and how it affects social skills can decrease the shame and increase the opportunities for meaningful connection. This research-based webinar will empower you to navigate the social world with realistic and practical strategies that will improve your people skills.
- Why you have difficulty reading social cues and non-verbal communication, and how to change these patterns
- Strategies to manage impulsivity to minimize interrupting, blurting, and inappropriate comments
- How to read social cues and understand the context and mood of social situations with friends and coworkers
- How to be a better listener and concentrate on what others are saying, even when your mind is distracted
- Tried-and-true tools and coaching techniques to move you forward in making lasting friendships
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: : Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; iHeartRADIO.
Meet the Expert Speaker:
Renowned ADHD expert Caroline Maguire, M.Ed., ACCG, PCC, funnels her decades of expertise helping people make friends and find acceptance in her book, Why Will No One Play with Me, a number one Amazon new release book. She uses groundbreaking International Coach Federation (ICF)-accredited training methodology that has sparked a revolution in addressing executive function and social isolation challenges. Maguire contributes to leading publications, print and online, including U.S. News & World Report, Mind Body Green, Salon, Huffington Post, Today Parenting, ADDitude, Attention Magazine, and WebMD. She is a sought-after lecturer and workshop facilitator. Join Maguire’s Facebook chat every first Monday #AskCoachCaroline, follow her @AuthorCarolineM, and sign up with your email address to receive her free Play Better Plan Mini-Course. | See expert’s full bio »
As an Amazon Associate, ADDitude earns a commission from qualifying purchases made by ADDitude readers on the affiliate links we share.
- “This was packed with actionable information, probably the best ADD webinar I’ve been on so far.”
- “One of the most user friendly sessions I’ve attended anywhere not just here. Great job Caroline! Thank you.”
- “Thought she was succinct and maintained interest with good commonsense info for both clients and clinicians such as myself.”