“How to Use Brain Science to Increase Motivation in Children with ADHD” [Video Replay & Podcast #228]
In this hour-long webinar-on-demand, learn how to motivate ADHD students with Jerome Schultz, Ph.D.
This informative, results-oriented webinar will first provide a brief overview of the major scientific explanations of motivation and why they don’t quite fit kids with ADHD. We’ll focus on the difference between extrinsic motivation (I want to do this because of what tangible rewards it will bring me) and intrinsic (I’m doing this because of how it makes me feel). Then, we’ll look at why it’s so challenging to light the fires of motivation under kids with ADHD (spoiler alert: it’s about their prediction of the outcome). Finally, we’ll look at a simple but effective formula that will get children, adolescents, and young adults with ADHD from “here to there” and feel really good about making the journey. If you’re tired of failed “carrot and stick” approaches, tune in to this very practical webinar.
In this webinar, you will learn:
- The difference between “intrinsic” and “extrinsic” motivation
- Several “expert” views of motivation
- Why traditional interpretations of motivation miss the mark because they don’t factor in ADHD
- What to say and what to do to get kids to identify barriers to motivation and overcome them
- How parents and schools can work together to get kids to turn on, tune in and feel the joy of success
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Overcast.
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on August 29, 2018.
- “Thank you for offering these informative webinars for free. As a parent of two children with ADHD, among other issues, this type of compassionate information is invaluable.”
- “Fantastic, informative presentation. Would love to have Dr. Schultz present again!”
- “I really enjoyed the presentation. The orator was very knowledgeable and easy to understand.
Thank you for this valuable information.”
- “This webinar was OUTSTANDING! I’ve been parenting an ADHD child for 14 years and researching ADHD for 11 years, and this was the BEST info I’ve ever received.”
Meet the Expert Speaker:
Jerome Schultz, Ph.D., is a former special education teacher who has for the past 35 years served as a clinical pediatric neuropsychologist. An internationally acclaimed presenter and thought leader in the field of LD and ADHD, Dr. Schultz is respected for his sensitivity to the real-life challenges of kids with ADHD, and his practical, no-nonsense approach to intervention. He is currently on the faculty of Harvard Medical School and consultant to many public and private schools. Dr. Schultz is a prolific writer, and his book Nowhere to Hide: Why Kids with ADHD and LD Hate School and What We Can Do About It, has met with high praise.
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
Esteem Therapeutics has automated the complex process of managing your child’s ADHD condition.
Incorporate Esteem Thrive with your back-to-school strategy. Sign up now for a free trial, no credit card needed — chooseesteem.com
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.