“The College Transition Guide for Teens with ADHD” [Video Replay & Podcast #191]
Theresa Maitland, Ph.D., explains how to prepare teens with ADHD for independence at college.
Teens with ADHD/LD are the fastest growing segment of students with disabilities on college campuses today. After high school graduation, executive function challenges multiply just as teens leave the watchful gaze of their parents — and often this leads to rocky adjustments and academic challenges. The best way to strategically conquer life in college with ADHD? Begin preparing and planning while your child is in high school.
In this webinar, learn how to help your teen:
- understand his/her diagnosis and the gifts, differences, and challenges associated with it
- practice advocating for himself/herself and using academic resources independently
- become aware of the differences between high school and college
- practice college readiness skills at home and at school
- slowly phase out accommodations that won’t be available at college
- decide on the next steps after high school
- develop a strong transition plan
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Overcast.
Meet the Expert Speaker:
Theresa Laurie Maitland, Ph.D., is currently the Senior ADHD/LD Specialist and Academic Coach in the ADHD/LD Services Program in the Learning Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Maitland co-authored Coaching College Students with ADHD with Dr. Patricia Quinn and Nancy Ratey. She and Patricia Quinn published two books on the subject of transition to college: Ready for Take-Off: Preparing Teens with ADHD and LD for College and On Your Own: A College Readiness Guide for Teens with ADHD/LD.
Webinar replays include:
- Slides accompanying the webinar
- Related resources from ADDitude
- Free newsletter updates about ADHD
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on July 11, 2017.
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
Landmark College: Serving students with learning and attention difficulties, and offering a two-week Transition to College program, July 21 through August 5, 2017. Information at https://www.landmark.edu/summer/transition-to-college-programs
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.