Free Webinar Replay: Beyond Hello: Building Conversation Skills in Children with ADHD
Anna Vagin, Ph.D., explains how parents and teachers can help kids with ADHD learn successful communication techniques.
Good conversations are built on balanced give and take — and require attention and focus. Some students with ADHD struggle to keep track of information, ask relevant questions, and indicate their continued interest. Conversation skills like these are important in and out of the classroom (core standards focus on collaborative work), which is why we’re sharing these communication tips with teachers and parents.
In this webinar presentation, Anna Vagin, Ph.D., discusses:
1. How conversation skills are critical to academic and social success
2. How social cognitive concepts such as perspective taking, flexibility, and emotional processing play a role in conversation
3. How conversation skills can benefit students both in and out of the classroom
4. How teachers can support students by understanding what specific skills make up collaborative conversation
5. How parents can support students by practicing the basic building blocks that make up collaborative conversation
6. How to integrate conversation practice into daily face-to-face interactions, as well as into electronic communications such as texting
Meet the expert:
Anna Vagin, Ph.D., is a licensed speech/language pathologist with over 30 years experience. In her private practice in Marin County, California, she provides individual sessions and social learning groups to children, young adults, and their families. Her particular interest is using media to support social thinking in students with diagnoses such as ASD, ADHD, NVLD, Language Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Social Communication Disorder or Twice-Exceptional. She provides consultation to parents and schools, and is a frequent speaker in the U.S. and Canada on topics related to social cognition. She is the author of Movie Time Social Learning (2013) and YouCue Feelings: Online Video Viewing for Social Learning (2015).
Webinar replays include:
- Slides accompanying the webinar
- Related resources from ADDitude
- Free newsletter updates about ADHD
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on February 23, 2017.
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
Play Attention: Play Attention is the most comprehensive program available for both children and adults designed to strengthen Executive Functions and self-regulation. Executive Functions are essential in controlling our ability to reason, emotions and actions. Executive Functions are responsible for success in our everyday lives. Call 828-676-2240 and learn how we can customize Play Attention for you. We even provide you with a personal Executive Function Coach for free unlimited support. www.playattention.com
Play Attention is offering ADDitude webinar participants a $200 discount. Use code ADDWEB.
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.