“The Social Lives of Boys with ADHD: Why Traditional Therapy and Social Skills Groups Rarely Work” [Video Replay & Podcast #249]
In this hour long webinar on demand, learn about alternatives to typical therapy and social skills groups for boys with ADHD lead by Ryan Wexelblatt, LCSW.
“My son hated going to therapy; he complained that the therapist tried to get him to talk about feelings every week.”
“We’ve tried counseling multiple times, but my son really did not get anything out of it.”
“My son refuses to go to his ‘lunch bunch’ social skills group at school. He says all the kids in it are weird.”
The questions sent to ADDitude’s new ADHD in Boys expert, social worker Ryan Wexelblatt, come from parents across the country who face a common challenge: How do you help a boy with ADHD who struggles to establish and maintain friendships, master his executive functions, and take responsibility for his own actions.
During this webinar Ryan will discuss:
- Why therapy is not designed for boys with ADHD, and what works better.
- What are the most common social learning challenges, and how you can address them.
- What executive functioning challenges get in the way, and how you can work on those.
- Why is it so hard to find help given how common ADHD is in boys?
- Where do I start and what do I address first?
- “I thought he would grow out of this” Why parents put off getting help.
Here, Ryan Wexelblatt describes the challenges he encounters most often in his young male patients with ADHD, and offers realistic strategies and solutions for parents who want to help their sons grow and mature into healthy, happy men.
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Overcast.
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on May 1, 2019.
- “Ryan was the best presenter I’ve heard in the 4 years I’ve been learning about how to parent my now 10-year-old son.
- “This was the most informative and helpful information about ADHD I have ever heard. He really spoke so many truths, it was unbelievable.”
- “The focus on boys is appreciated & needed!”
Meet the Expert Speaker:
Ryan Wexelblatt, LCSW, is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and School Social Worker who also contributes expert Q&As to ADDitude’s ADHD in Boys series. He is the facilitator of the ADHD Dude Facebook Group and YouTube channel. Ryan specializes in working with males (ages 5-22) who present with ADHD, anxiety with ADHD, and learning differences; he specializes in teaching social cognitive skills to boys from a male perspective.
Ryan is the Director of Ride the Wave Counseling and Summer Trip Camp in Linwood, New Jersey. Originally from the Philadelphia area, Ryan has presented at the International Conference on ADHD, the Social Thinking Global Providers’ Conference as well as many regional conferences on topics pertaining to social skills with boys.
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
OmegaBrite: OmegaBrite 70/10 MD is a proprietary high concentrate Omega-3 formulation, developed by Dr. Carol Locke while on faculty at Harvard Medical School. Clinically demonstrated to reduce anxiety by 20% in healthy medical students in an NIH funded double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial, and to reduce inflammatory cytokines IL-6 by 14%. Order now exclusively at omegabrite.com
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.