“Back-to-School Starts Now: Your Plan for Academic, Behavioral & Organizational Success” [Video Replay & Podcast #222]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#222), and download the slide presentation for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on July 25, 2018.
If your child struggled in school last year, you may feel equal parts anxious and determined about beginning a new grade with new challenges and new teachers. You want to do everything in your power to set up your student for success. But what does that look like, exactly? Having lived (and overcome) this challenge with her son over 12 academic years, Chris Dendy, M.S. — a former teacher and the author of several top books on teens and ADHD — has devised a back-to-school game plan full of insightful advice and lessons learned.
- Create a unique back-to-school plan to meet your child’s specific needs
- Understand ADHD’s manifestations in the classroom, and find ways to address it
- Educate yourself, your child, and the teacher about ADHD
- Identify how key intervention points — late spring, before school, and after school — can improve your child’s chances of success
- Establish routines at home that will maximize your child’s chances of school success
- Write a brief positive introductory letter about your child that help a new teacher appreciate his or her abilities and personality
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Amazon Music; iHeartRADIO.
Read More on Students with ADHD
- Free ADHD Resource: Middle School Success Strategies
- [Quiz] How Well Do You Know Special-Ed Law?
- Parent-Teacher Peace: 6 Rules for Better Cooperation
- Daily Report Card: Your Secret Weapon for Better Behavior
Meet the Expert Speaker
Chris A. Zeigler Dendy, M.S., is a former educator, school psychologist, and mental health counselor and administrator with over 40 years experience.
Her popular books, many created in collaboration with her son Alex Zeigler, include Teenagers with ADD, ADHD, & Executive Function Deficits, 3rd Ed (120,000+ sold); Teaching Teens with ADD, ADHD, & Executive Function Deficits, 2nd Ed; A Bird’s-Eye View of Life with ADHD & Executive Function Deficit…a 10 years later update. 3rd Ed.; Successfully Launching ADHD Youth into Adulthood, coauthored with Ruth Hughes, Ph.D., which will be published in late 2019. Her videos, also created in collaboration with her son Alex, include Real Life ADHD! The Real Experts on ADHD! and Father to Father: Expert Advice on ADHD! Dendy’s iconic ADHD Iceberg Poster conveys the complexities of ADHD at a simple glance. | See expert’s full bio »
As an Amazon Associate, ADDitude earns a commission from qualifying purchases made by ADDitude readers on the affiliate links we share.
- “One of my favorite speakers and writers on ADHD and LD, excellent and insightful info.
- “This webinar was EXCELLENT! She had so many nuggets of wisdom and real world examples for improvements. Loved it.”
- “The presenter was wonderful and hit on many key issues I have experienced with my son who has ADHD.”
- “Thank you this was SO helpful! My child just had an incident at school yesterday and this helped connect more dots.”
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
Esteem Therapeutics has automated the complex process of managing your child’s ADHD condition.
Incorporate Esteem Thrive with your back-to-school strategy. Sign up now for a free trial, no credit card needed — chooseesteem.com
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.