“Could I Be on the Autism Spectrum?” [Video Replay & Podcast #258]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#258), download the slide presentation for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on June 4, 2020.
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurologic condition that impacts individuals during childhood and across the lifespan. Though it is commonly regarded as a pediatric disorder, ASD affects adults as well. Growing awareness about autism later in life has led a population of adults, including many diagnosed with attention deficit disorder (ADHD or ADD), to suspect they may be on the spectrum.
Though researchers and clinicians have successfully improved the early detection of autistic behaviors in young children, many adults remain misdiagnosed or not diagnosed at all. Myths about ASD perpetuate the lack of attention and supports for adults in our communities. The good news is that having the facts about ASD can lead to an accurate evaluation and effective treatment for most.
- The facts (and myths) about autism in adults
- Why getting a correct diagnosis at any age makes a difference
- Common reasons why adults are not diagnosed with ASD
- Factors contributing to misdiagnosis in adults
- Similarities and differences between ASD and ADHD
- The diagnostic criteria for ASD
- Strategies to improve diagnosis
- Effective supports and intervention for the individual with ASD
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
- Free Download: ADHD and Intense Emotions
- Is It Just ADHD? Comorbidities That Unlock an Accurate Mental Health Diagnosis
- [Self-Test] Autism Spectrum Disorder Symptoms in Adults
- Read This: Why Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder Are Mistaken for ADHD in Adults
Meet the Expert Speaker
Theresa Regan, Ph.D., is a clinical neuropsychologist with a specialization in brain-behavior relationships. She has worked with adults and aging adults within hospital systems for nearly 30 years. She is a certified autism specialist, the mother of a son on the spectrum, and the Director of the OSF HealthCare Adult Diagnostic Autism Clinic in Peoria, Illinois. She is the author of Understanding Autism in Adults and Aging Adults and Understanding Autistic Behaviors: Improving Health, Independence, and Well-Being. | See expert’s full bio »
- “AWESOME SPEAKER!!
You should definitely have her again. Very information and honest take on diagnosis. Thank you for having her!”
- “Thank you so much!
This was an excellent topic, presented well and definitely information I can take and use in our family!”
- “I appreciated the suggestions about how to select and evaluate a professional to assess/ diagnose an adult who might be on spectrum.”
- “The speaker did a good job of covering the basics and leaving enough time for Q&A but I wish there had been more time.”