“ADHD Anger, Tantrums, and Mood Shifts: Effective Treatments for Emotional Dysregulation” [Video Replay & Podcast #334]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#334), download the slide presentation, and learn how to get a certificate of attendance for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on November 24, 2020.
One of the most difficult challenges of ADHD is managing the intense emotions and moods that can hijack everyday life for children and adults alike. Emotional dysregulation — or the inability to properly modulate and regulate feelings — is a formidable problem for many people with ADHD. Yet standard treatments for ADHD, designed to optimize attention, only partially address emotional regulation. Because emotional control is not a struggle unique to people diagnosed with ADHD, we can benefit from what is known about managing tantrums and anger when they occur in association with other conditions. Listen and learn from Joel Nigg, Ph.D., about:
- The causes of emotional dysregulation and why it is an integral part of ADHD
- The most effective psychosocial treatments for children and adults with ADHD
- The interplay of ADHD medication and emotional dysregulation
- Lifestyle changes and habits to manage concerns about anger and emotionality
- Other conditions that should be considered if tantrums or anger are the main challenges
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Amazon Music; iHeartRADIO.
Read More on Emotional Dysregulation from Dr. Nigg:
- The ADHD-Anger Connection: New Insights into Emotional Dysregulation and Treatment Considerations
- How ADHD Amplifies Emotions
Obtain a Certificate of Attendance
If you attended the live webinar on November 24, 2020, watched the video replay, or listened to the podcast, you may purchase a certificate of attendance option (cost: $10). Note: ADDitude does not offer CEU credits. Click here to purchase the certificate of attendance option »
Meet the Expert Speaker
Joel Nigg, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist and a professor in the departments of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Oregon Health & Science University. He directs the OHSU ADHD Research program and is also director of the division of psychology. Dr. Nigg is the author of Getting Ahead of ADHD. | See expert’s full bio »
As an Amazon Associate, ADDitude earns a commission from qualifying purchases made by ADDitude readers on the affiliate links we share.
- “I have never heard anyone so directly deal with the emotional dysregulation side of ADHD, certainly not in such a thorough manner. I deeply appreciate the recognition of this as a real, primary struggle, not just some add-on to attention/hyperactivity issues.”
- “Very informative presentation with a great new perspective and reminder that small successes are still worth celebrating!”
- “Great session with a lot of practical information. So nice to be given concrete ways to implement strategies!”
Play Attention: Enhance brain health and performance. For over 25 years PLAY ATTENTION has been helping children and adults thrive and succeed. Our NASA inspired technology and cognitive exercises improve executive function. Your program includes a Lifetime Membership and a Personal Executive Function Coach to customize your plan along the way. Tell us the areas you want to improve, and we will create a customized neurocognitive training plan to help you achieve those goals. Click Here to Schedule Your FREE Consultation or call 828-676-2240| www.playattention.com | Use Coupon Code ADDMag1020 to receive $200 off your Play Attention program.
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.