Free Webinar Replay: Empower Your Teen to Succeed in College
Theresa Maitland, Ph.D., explains how to prepare teens with ADHD for independence at college.
Finals, term papers, doing laundry and grocery shopping, getting exercise, socializing, going to dorm parties, taking medication — difficulties with executive functioning and self-management skills make it hard for those with ADHD/LD to handle all the responsibilities they have to take on at college. Without realizing it, well-meaning parents fall into the trap of acting as their teen’s personal assistant or concierge. Parents try to look ahead to anticipate problems, do all the thinking to prevent problems, and fix any that occur. While this parenting style might work in the short run, it backfires in the long run as students with ADHD/LD enter college.
In this webinar, parents will learn:
1. Common traps and pitfalls of parenting a teen with ADHD/LD
2. Research on the value of using a “coaching” or “collaborative” style to promote the development of thinking and self-management skills
3. How to analyze your pattern of interactions and change the ones that enable your teen
4. How to implement the “coaching approach” in day-to-day interactions with your teen
5. The importance of teen self-advocacy—a skill that research says will set adolescents up for college success
Meet the Expert Speaker:
Theresa Laurie Maitland, Ph.D., is currently the coordinator of the Academic Success Program for Students with LD/ADHD: A Learning Center Program at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Maitland co-authored Coaching College Students with ADHD with Dr. Patricia Quinn and Nancy Ratey. She and Patricia Quinn published two books on the subject of transition to college: Ready for Take-Off: Preparing Teens with ADHD and LD for College and On Your Own: A College Readiness Guide for Teens with ADHD/LD.
Webinar replays include:
- Slides accompanying the webinar
- Related resources from ADDitude
- Free newsletter updates about ADHD
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on September 21, 2016.
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
The American Psychological Association:
The American Psychological Association publishes a wealth of resources for the ADHD community, including professional books for practitioners, self-help books for children with ADHD under the Magination Press® imprint, and adult self-help and parenting books under the APA LifeTools® imprint. Dr. Maitland’s most recent Magination Press book is Ready for Take-Off: Preparing Your Teen With ADHD or LD for College.
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.