“‘My Partner Has ADHD?!’ 5 Strategies for Living Happily After a Diagnosis” [Video Replay & Podcast #274]
Access the video replay, listen to the podcast episode (#274), download the slide presentation, and learn how to get a certificate of attendance for this ADHD Experts webinar originally broadcast on November 5, 2019.
Is ADHD affecting your marriage? Many adults are receiving ADHD diagnoses later in life, so it is often shocking for couples to discover that attention deficit disorder has been a major influence on their relationship journey all along. A diagnosis can explain, finally, all those struggles over household chores, arguments at the kitchen table, and daily misunderstandings over small things. It can foster better understanding of the idiosyncrasies you thought were a normal part of your relationship, and help chart a way forward.
As you learn about all the ways that ADHD affects your partner, you can develop strategies to make peace with the diagnosis and each other — like communicating more clearly, moving toward relationship goals, and realizing that your partner is more than a diagnosis or a set of symptoms.
- Which strategies have the most immediate impact on your relationship
- Why there’s so much frustration and anger, and how to tame it
- The role that ADHD treatment does — and does not — play in your relationship success
- How to set measurable, realistic goals to achieve progress
- The most important change each of you can make to feel — and act — like partners again
- Communication strategies that work relationship wonders
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; iHeartRADIO.
Read More on ADHD and Relationships
- Don’t Just Talk, Communicate
- “I Don’t Feel Loved Anymore”
- [Free Download: Manage ADHD’s Impact on Your Relationship]
- 11 Rules for Fighting Right and Forgiving Faster
Obtain a Certificate of Attendance
If you attended the live webinar on November 5, 2019, watched the video replay, or listened to the podcast, you may get a certificate of attendance option. Note: ADDitude does not offer CEU credits. Click here to get the certificate of attendance option »
Meet the Expert Speaker
Melissa Orlov is the founder of ADHDmarriage.com, and author of two award-winning books on the impact of ADHD in relationships, The ADHD Effect on Marriage (2010) and The Couple’s Guide to Thriving with ADHD (2014). She is considered one of the foremost authorities on the topic of how ADHD impacts adult relationships. A marriage consultant, Orlov helps ADHD-affected couples from around the world rebalance their relationships and learn to thrive through her seminars, consulting, and books. She also teaches marriage counselors and other professionals about effective marriage therapy for couples affected by ADHD. Ms. Orlov is a cum laude graduate of Harvard College. | See expert’s full bio »
- “Fantastic Presentation!! Please bring her back for more webinars! Thank You So Much!!”
- “Especially liked the ideas on engaging the ADD spouse by using examples about ‘what I see myself doing.'”
- “Excellent and USEFUL information, and her delivery was clear and easy to understand.”
“The webinar was one of the most well communicated I watched so far. Very easy to understand the content in the way it was presented!”
NEBA® Health: Happy, healthy brains and no prescription required! NEBA Health’s Brain Booster dietary supplement is packed with great-tasting, optimal ratios of Omega-3s to support brain health in kids and adults! Visit nebahealth.com to learn more. MRK0179/2019.06.12
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.