“A Careful Diagnosis: Expert Guidelines for Getting an Accurate ADHD Evaluation” [Video Replay & Podcast #238]
In this hour long webinar on-demand, learn the essentials for an accurate ADHD evaluation with Thomas E. Brown, Ph.D.
You suspect that your child or another family member is showing signs of attention deficit. Step One is to get a comprehensive evaluation by a professional who knows what ADHD is — and what it is not. This may be a pediatrician, a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or another medical or mental health professional who has received specialized training in how to recognize, assess, and treat ADHD and related problems.
Many professionals insist that an accurate ADHD diagnosis requires a full battery of neuropsychological testing, brain imaging, and computerized tests to measure attention. Dr. Thomas Brown, an esteemed ADHD expert with four decades’ experience, disagrees. Families can save money, he says, by knowing which tests are valuable in assessing symptoms of ADHD, and which aren’t.
In this webinar, you will learn:
- the most qualified professionals to evaluate a child or an adult for ADHD
- the most effective approach for evaluating adults and children for ADHD
- why a clinician should always assess an adult or child for comorbid conditions
- why exploring a person’s physical health, sleep habits, nutritional regimen, and potential substance abuse problems can lead to a more accurate diagnosis
- the importance of parents participating in a child’s evaluation
- the key to having a partner or close friend present when evaluating an adult
- why adults and children should undergo an age-appropriate, normed rating scale for ADHD-related problems over the past six months
Watch the Video Replay
Download or Stream the Podcast Audio
Click the play button below to listen to this episode directly in your browser, click the symbol to download to listen later, or open in your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Overcast.
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on November 15, 2018.
- “Thanks, Dr. Brown.
This was very informative and I appreciate your time. I plan to read more about your research.”
- “Presentation was very informative and slides showed talking points in a very organized manner. I learned a lot about what to look for in diagnosing ADHD. Thank you!”
- “Excellent Webinar!
Thank you so much! Dr. Brown is amazing and his information is truly appreciated and valued! Looking forward to more webinars by Dr. Brown soon.”
- “Dr Brown is a terrific resource and he is at the apex of my list of favorite ADHD experts to learn from. Thank you for hosting him and for all that you do!”
Meet the Expert Speaker:
Dr. Thomas E. Brown, is a clinical psychologist who received his Ph.D. from Yale University and is Director of the Brown Clinic for Attention & Related Disorders in Manhattan Beach, California. He specializes in assessment and treatment of high-IQ children, adolescents, and adults with ADD/ADHD and related problems. After serving on the clinical faculty of the Yale Medical School for 20 years, Dr. Brown resigned to relocate to Manhattan Beach, California, where he directs the Brown ADHD Clinic for ADHD and Related Problems in children and adults. He holds an appointment as Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California. He is also an elected Fellow of the American Psychological Association. Thomas E. Brown, Ph.D., is a member of the ADDitude ADHD Medical Review Panel.
NEBA® Health offers the first FDA-cleared brainwave test to help clinicians determine if a child’s symptoms are due to ADHD or some other condition. NEBA is only available by prescription. It is a non-invasive test and only takes minutes. Find a NEBA provider in your area: nebahealth.com
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.