Vayarin is a medical food intended to improve focus and concentration in children and adults with ADHD or ADD.
What is Vayarin?
Vayarin® is a non-drug clinical nutritional therapy that aims to manage symptoms of attention deficit disorder (ADHD or ADD) by addressing lipid imbalances. It’s a branded composition containing Phosphatidylserine-omega-3, EPA enriched, formulated specifically to address lipid imbalances critical to brain health that may be associated with ADHD.
How does Vayarin work for individuals with ADHD?
While Vayarin® is not a drug, it is classified as “medical food” and requires a doctor’s prescription and oversight. It can take up to 90 days to experience the effects, though some have reported changes in as little as 14 days.
The typical dosage is two capsules a day, as directed by your physician.
Is Vayarin for Adults or Children with ADHD?
Vayarin® is marketed for children with ADHD, but can be used by adults with ADHD as well.
Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about all other supplements and medications you are taking before starting Vayarin®.
How much does Vayarin cost?
The cost of Vayarin®, through the manufacturer’s program — VAYA-Direct — is less than $50 a month. The retail price through other pharmacies is approximately $60.
What studies have been done on Vayarin and ADHD?
Researchers at Texas Child Neurology and Children’s Health Services in Greenville, North Carolina, identified 518 children with ADHD who were previously treated with Vayarin®. The scientists, led by Robert Chudnow, M.D., and Tate Holbrook, M.D., reviewed patient and parent self-assessments to evaluate the effectiveness of Vayarin®. 68% of the children, average age 11, experienced reduced ADHD symptoms. 66% of children who were taking Vayarin® in conjunction with a stimulant or non-stimulant medication experienced reduced ADHD symptoms. 31% of the patients evaluated reduced their dose of ADHD medication while taking Vayarin®.
Are there any side effects associated with Vayarin?
Abdominal pain or discomfort, headache, and insomnia have been noted in studies of Vayarin® use.
Are there any precautions for taking Vayarin?
Do not take Vayarin® if you are allergic or sensitive to fish/shellfish or products containing fish/shellfish. No contraindications with ADHD drugs have been reported.
High temperatures can impact the efficacy of Vayarin®. You should store it at a temperature lower than 77° F (25° C) and away from light and moisture.
Where can I learn more about Vayarin?
Visit the manufacturer’s website at vayarin.com.
More Information on Vayarin and Other Alternative ADHD Treatments:
Tips for Good Medication and Treatment Reviews
- Post reviews only for medications or treatments you have used or prescribed.
- In your description, mention whether you're reviewing the medication or treatment for a child or for an adult (yourself or another adult), and as a patient or as a medical professional.
- Mention what medical condition you were using the medication or treatment to address.
- Mention the brand, dose, and period of time that you used the medication or treatment.
- Please share your positive and negative experiences with the medication or treatment in detail. Note effectiveness, ease of use, side effects; and compare it with other treatments you have used.
- Do not include any personal information or links in your review.