What is it?
b-Calm is a personal sound system that provides its users with an “acoustic shield” for greater control of their sound environment, which can help improve behavior and mood.
How does b-Calm work?
b-Calm’s noise-cancelling headphones block disturbing sounds and replace them with familiar and soothing sounds from nature and the world around us via a preloaded mp3 player. The tracks employ special noise-masking signals to create acoustic intervention.
Who is b-Calm for?
b-Calm is used by both children and adults impacted by autism, Asperger’s syndrome, ADHD, anxiety, sensory processing disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, and focus problems at school or at work.
How much does it cost?
The b-Calm GP auditory listening system costs $139.
What studies have been done?
In 2009, b-Calm teamed up with eight special education teachers around the state of Iowa to test the product in the classroom (offering free b-Calm sets but no funding). Participating teachers observed elementary school kids on the autism spectrum, as well as those with ADHD. They took note of their students’ purposes for using b-Calm (trouble with concentration, math, reading, relaxation, independent work, and test taking were among the reasons) and the number of times and duration for which b-Calm was used. Teachers rated b-Calm’s effectiveness on a 0-to-5 scale, with 5 as the most effective. With 17 evaluations, the average rating given to the product was a 4.4.
Where can I learn more?
Visit the manufacturer’s website at b-calmsound.com.
Tips for Good Medication and Treatment Reviews
- Post reviews only for medications or treatments you have used or prescribed.
- In your description, mention whether you're reviewing the medication or treatment for a child or for an adult (yourself or another adult), and as a patient or as a medical professional.
- Mention what medical condition you were using the medication or treatment to address.
- Mention the brand, dose, and period of time that you used the medication or treatment.
- Please share your positive and negative experiences with the medication or treatment in detail. Note effectiveness, ease of use, side effects; and compare it with other treatments you have used.
- Do not include any personal information or links in your review.