Ask the Experts

Seeking a Broader-Minded Doctor

“My child’s pediatrician told me that diet has no effect on managing ADHD. Despite my protests, he prescribed medication after diagnosing my son. How can I find a doctor who uses natural treatments?”

Although medications are sometimes the appropriate answer, it is clear that your doctor is not listening to your concerns. He also seems unaware of the evidence indicating that food and diet do indeed help some children manage ADHD symptoms. Finding a broader-minded doctor or one who uses natural treatments is not always easy, depending on where you live. I would Google “Pediatric Integrative Medicine” in your city. In addition, ask friends and other practitioners – such as speech, physical, and occupational therapists, as well as counselors and psychologists – for their recommendations. You may need to travel to another state for a consultation, but it will be worth the effort.