Recently Diagnosed, ADA Information

“I’ve just been diagnosed with ADHD. Am I entitled to special accommodations at work?”

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are entitled to workplace accommodations if you can document the diagnosis. Ask your physician or psychiatrist to write a letter attesting to the diagnosis. The physician must identify what accommodations you’re requesting and why they’re necessary. It’s usually helpful if the letter specifies the criteria used to make the diagnosis-symptoms that are chronic and pervasive, for example, and which are not caused by another medical or psychiatric disorder.