“Understanding Dyscalculia: Is It Math Anxiety or a Learning Disability?” [podcast episode #224]
Though dyscalculia is nearly as common as dyslexia, it’s neither well known nor fully understood. Tune in to hear as Daniel Ansari, Ph.D., describes the common signs of this life-long learning disability as well as supports to help a child who struggles with number skills.
Listen to “Understanding Dyscalculia: Is It Math Anxiety or a Learning Disability?” with Daniel Ansari, Ph.D.
Click the play button below to listen in your browser. Mobile users can open this episode in: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Overcast.
View the slide presentation that accompanied the original broadcast of this live webinar.
Add ADDitude’s ADHD Experts Podcast to your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Pocket Casts | Overcast | Stitcher
Dyscalculia is a life-long condition that makes math-related tasks arduous and even painful. Though it’s nearly as common as dyslexia (roughly 7% of U.S. students have dyscalculia), this learning disability is neither well known nor fully understood. Students with dyscalculia may struggle with various math concepts and tasks. They may not understand quantities or concepts like biggest vs. smallest. They may not understand that the numeral 5 is the same as the word five. So what are the most common signs of dyscalculia? How can you help a child who is struggling with it?
- “Well delivered and much information that will assist me in teaching students with difficulties in mathematics in elementary school. I will use everything shared.”
- “Great topic. As an educator it helped in backing up my feelings about poor performing students and what might be going on.”
- “Very nicely done!
Speaker was organized, and slides were very good. Thank you!”
- “Great information, helpful detail and explanations.
I am an adult with these symptoms since my own childhood, so I am glad to hear these discussions.”
Related recommended resources:
- [Self-Test] Dyscalculia in Adults
- [Self-Test] Dyscalculia Symptoms in Children
- Quiz: Do You Know the Difference Between ADHD and LD?
- The Best Way to Explain Learning Disabilities to Your Child
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on July 18, 2018. ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/