Listen to “Is It Really ADHD? How to Get the Diagnosis Right” with Thomas E. Brown, Ph.D.
There is no test for ADHD. So, in this podcast, Thomas E. Brown, Ph.D., explains what it takes to make an accurate ADD diagnosis.
Listen to “Is It Really ADHD? How to Get the Diagnosis Right” with Thomas Brown, Ph.D.
Click the play button below to listen, or click the download icon to download the podcast and then save it to your device. Mobile users can touch this link to open the Podcasts app or touch this link to open the Stitcher app.
Thomas Brown, Ph.D., explains how to avoid common ADHD diagnosis pitfalls with his step-by-step plan.
In this episode:
- The tools that professionals should always use when evaluating for ADHD — from a physical exam to interviews to rating scales
- The key elements of a clinical patient interview
- How much time is needed for a thorough evaluation, including follow-up visits
- Which rating scales are useful for diagnosing ADHD — and when they are most needed
- Key questions that patients should ask their providers, and red-flag answers
- Why clinicians should evaluate for co-occurring conditions, such as anxiety or ODD
- The validity of using brain imaging, computer tests, or blood tests when diagnosing ADHD
- The importance of the DSM-5 in an ADHD evaluation
- Which professionals are equipped to diagnose ADHD correctly
- Free Download: How Is ADHD Diagnosed?
- Who Can Diagnose ADHD?
- The Building Blocks of a Good ADHD Diagnosis
- eBook: The ADDitude Collection of Symptom Tests & Quizzes
- “All of the podcasts are interesting and helpful but this is the best one so far! I am going to have my family listen to it. My daughter minimizes her ADHD when asked about it even though she struggles with it. Some of the tests he mentioned described her situation. Thank you for this!!”
- “So informative! I am so grateful for these well organized and presented talks!”
- “Very helpful, clearly presented information. Thank you so much for providing these podcasts.”
How Do I Listen?
If you don’t see the podcast player at the top of the page, or subscribe to ADDitude’s ADHD Experts podcast somewhere else, follow these instructions:
From your phone or tablet:
You can subscribe to ADDitude’s ADHD Experts podcast in any podcast player. If you’re reading this on an Apple mobile device, touch this link to open the Podcasts app. If you’re reading this on an Android mobile device, touch this link to open the Stitcher app.
From a desktop or laptop:
Click the “play” button at the top of the page to start the episode. Keep that window or tab open on your browser while you listen, or the podcast episode will stop playing.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series, and the audio has been captured from telephone conversations, not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: www.additude.com/webinars/
Updated on July 30, 2019