“Beyond Dyslexia: Overcoming Reading Challenges for Kids with ADHD” [podcast episode #187]
Tune in to learn how to recognize common reading challenges with Dr. Robin McEvoy.
Listen to “Beyond Dyslexia: Overcoming Reading Challenges for Kids with ADHD” with Dr. Robin McEvoy
Click the play button below to listen in your browser. Mobile users can open this episode in: Apple Podcasts; Google Podcasts; Stitcher; Spotify; Overcast.
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
Add ADDitude’s ADHD Experts Podcast to your podcasts app: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Pocket Casts | Overcast | Stitcher
Dyslexia is a reading disorder, but not all reading disorders are dyslexia (which is a surprise to many parents and even some reading specialists). One in five young students struggles with reading. Knowing the source of the reading problem and recognizing that symptoms can vary widely even among children with the same diagnosis are both critical for planning the proper course of action. Here’s how to develop a plan for your child and to bring pleasure to the reading process. Dr. Robin McEvoy explains the common sources of reading challenges and the strategies to overcome them.
- “A very informative podcast. Will share the types of accommodations with my nephew & niece who have an 8 year with ADHD. Loved the suggestions for encouraging a reluctant reader. Thank you!”
- “Great presentation of information. As a certified Orton-Gillingham tutor, I appreciated your explanation that some schools do not implement the approach as intended. Parents think their student is getting Orton-Gillingham at school when in fact it is a watered-down program with bits and pieces missing. Thanks!”
- “Loved this speaker and found the topic extremely beneficial. Robin McEvoy was fantastic and I got great information to use with my daughter – Thanks so much!!!”
Related recommended resources:
- Free Download: The Teacher’s Guide to Common Learning Challenges
- The Unlikely Signs of Dyslexia You Should Not Ignore
- Does Your Child Need a Tutor?
- eBook: 9 Conditions Often Diagnosed with ADHD