Podcast Episode #293: “The Secret to Making Friends: A People Skills Guide for Adults with ADHD” with Caroline Maguire, M.Ed., ACCG, PCC
Tune in to Caroline Maguire, M.Ed., ACCG, PCC, and learn the secret to making friends as an adult with ADHD.
Listen to “The Secret to Making Friends: A People Skills Guide for Adults with ADHD” with Caroline Maguire, M.Ed., ACCG, PCC
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
Social communication affects every aspect of an adult’s life — getting along with coworkers and bosses, interviewing for a job, maintaining friendships and romantic relationships, even attending social gatherings like a wedding or a birthday party without feeling stressed or inadequate. Making and keeping new friends is hard enough, and adults with ADHD face additional challenges with symptoms like impulsivity and inattention, which can get in the way of meaningful connection. What’s more, ADHD is often accompanied by comorbid conditions like anxiety or the shame of rejection sensitive dysphoria, both of which affect relationships.
When you reach out, do you often say or do the wrong thing — or forget to follow up or stay in touch with friends you make? Is it easier to withdraw and stay home than put yourself out there and risk making social blunders? Understanding the ADHD brain and how it affects social skills can decrease the shame and increase the opportunities for meaningful connection. This research-based webinar will empower you to navigate the social world with realistic and practical strategies that will improve your people skills.
- “This was packed with actionable information, probably the best ADD webinar I’ve been on so far.”
- “One of the most user friendly sessions I’ve attended anywhere not just here. Great job Caroline! Thank you.”
- “Thought she was succinct and maintained interest with good commonsense info for both clients and clinicians such as myself.”
Related recommended resources:
- How to Make Friends as an Adult: A Guide for Women with ADHD
- Sometimes, Friendship Is the Best Medicine
- Dash of Patience, Smidgen of Honesty: A Recipe for Friendship
- Free Webinar Replay: Building a Healthy Relationship with Your Adult ADHD
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on March 25, 2020.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/
Updated on November 12, 2020