“What to Eat, What to Avoid: The ADHD Guide to Food and Nutrition for Children” [podcast episode #266]
Tune in as Sanford Newmark, M.D., outlines the basic dietary principles for ADHD, key nutrients your child may be lacking, sensitivities to certain foods and food additives, and more
Listen to “What to Eat, What to Avoid: The ADHD Guide to Food and Nutrition for Children” with Sanford Newmark, M.D.
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
The quality of your child’s food affects how his or her body and ADHD brain work. Strong evidence shows that a well-rounded diet may have a significant effect on the severity of a child’s ADHD symptoms — improving cognition, mood, and behavior. Likewise, research shows that sensitivities to certain foods and food additives can negatively affect a child’s brain. Still others may be lacking a good balance of basic nutrients to optimize attention and focus.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition and ADHD. The key is finding the right combination of foods to eat — and avoid — based on your child’s nutrition profile and symptoms.
- “I appreciate the open-mindedness of today’s topic as Ive seen dietary adjustments help/hinder my ADHD.”
- “It was nice to have actual examples of what foods are good and what foods are not….it’s hard to just determine carbs or sugars or gluten. Actual examples are extremely helpful. Thank you!”
- “Loved the speaker’s clear and easy to understand manner; it even included many new ideas for me.”
- “Slow pace. Elementary knowledge, but probably good for people to whom this might be new info.”
- Free Guide to Delicious (and ADHD-Friendly!) Eating
- 9 Healthy Food Rules for ADHD Families: What to Eat, What to Avoid
- How Nutrition Harmonizes the ADHD Brain
- Why Sugar is Kryptonite: ADHD Diet Truths
Sanford Newmark, M.D., is a member of the ADDitude ADHD Medical Review Panel.
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on April 2, 2019.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
Play Attention: Use your screen time wisely. Play a game that can HELP a person with ADHD improve organization and time management skills. Play Attention is the only brain training system that combines both advanced neurofeedback and cognitive training to effectively improve attention, behavior, and learning skills in children and adults with ADHD. Available for home and professional use. https://www.playattention.com.
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.