Podcast Episode #299: “Medicating Your Child with ADHD: Making Peace with Your Decision” with Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D.
Tune in as Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D., discusses how to come to peace with your decision to medicate your child with ADHD and explain it to your child and others (if you choose to).
Listen to “Medicating Your Child with ADHD: Making Peace with Your Decision” with Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D.
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
There isn’t a tougher, more agonizing decision than the one to medicate your child with ADHD. Parents work tirelessly to do what they feel is best for their children, but the most effective treatment approaches for ADHD are not straightforward and making peace with your decision is rarely easy.
Parenting a child with ADHD brings many challenges and questions. Parents often feel conflicted, hesitant, and scared when deciding to introduce medication. They doubt their own competence and can feel defeated. Those feelings are reinforced by others’ judgments about medication and your parenting decisions.
On the other hand, parents are also judged for not medicating their child’s ADHD. It is important to understand that not every child with ADHD needs and/or benefits from medication. There are many reasons why. Talking through your thoughts and feelings about medication is a good way to feel comfortable with your decision.
- “So informative and I loved the suggestion of things to say to others who question our decisions.”
- “Excellent reflection and discussion of the pros, cons, and issues related to medicate or not medicate.”
- “I appreciated the feedback around the big picture and long term worries that come along with medication therapy.”
- “I loved how it answers some of the questions of the parents I am working with. Thank you!”
Related recommended resources:
- Free Download: What You Need to Know to About ADHD Medications
- ADHD Medication Side Effects That No One Should Tolerate
- 5 Rules for Using ADHD Medications Effectively
- eBook: ADHD Medication and Treatment
Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D., is a member of the ADDitude ADHD Medical Review Panel.
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on April 15, 2020. ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series, and the audio has been captured from telephone conversations, not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: www.additude.com/webinars/
Updated on November 12, 2020