Podcast Episode #294: “Marijuana and the ADHD Brain, Part 2” with Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D.
Tune in as Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D., revisits some of the most important topics asked by listeners in the Feb. 26, 2020 webinar on cannabis use in teens and adults with ADHD, and answers additional questions submitted by listeners.
Listen to “Marijuana and the ADHD Brain, Part 2” with Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D.
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
Individuals with ADHD carry a higher risk for substance use problems. Cannabis is one of the most widely abused substances among people with ADHD; studies show that those diagnosed with the condition are more likely to develop a Cannabis Use Disorder. One study found that 34% to 46% of those seeking treatment for cannabis dependence had an ADHD diagnosis.
Many parents and adults assume that cannabis is safe — even medicinal — for ADHD. These assumptions have been bolstered by the legalization of cannabis in more and more states. However, this is far from the truth, especially in young people. Cannabis carries lifelong psychological and physical consequences to the developing brain and body, and people with ADHD are especially vulnerable to its effects. Though marijuana use is a hotly debated topic, this webinar focuses on strong scientific studies and clinical examples to drive home the cannabis-ADHD connection.
- “Amazing presentation! Dr. Robert Olivardia, Ph.D. is ALWAYS the BEST OF THE BEST!! His webinars are so insightful & interesting & eye-opening and it would be wonderful to see him give more lectures in the future.”
- “The webinars on marijuana have been outstanding. Why aren’t high school and college students given the opportunity to view these as part of health class?”
- “I love the fact that this follow-up webinar addressed outstanding questions. The answers were well thought out and balanced. Thanks so much. This is much clearer to me now.”
- “I loved that he spent the hour just answering questions…that is a fantastic idea for future webinar topics…especially if we can submit questions in advance!”
Related recommended resources:
- Free Webinar Replay: Marijuana and the ADHD Brain: How to Identify and Treat Cannabis Use Disorder in Teens and Young Adults
- Secrets of Your ADHD Brain
- Beyond Genes: Leveraging Sleep, Exercise, and Diet to Improve ADHD
- The Truth About ADHD and Addiction
- CBD Oil for ADHD? New Research On This Popular Natural Treatment
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on March 26, 2020.
Roberto Olivardia, Ph.D., is a member of the ADDitude ADHD Medical Review Panel
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/
Updated on November 12, 2020