Listen to “5 Ways to Be a Better Dad” with Terry M. Dickson, M.D., ACG, CPCC
Tune in to this ADHD expert podcast to learn strategies to manage your ADHD and how to be a better dad for your children.
Listen to “5 Ways to Be a Better Dad: Parenting Strategies for Men with ADHD” with Terry M. Dickson, M.D., ACG, CPCC
Click the play button below to listen, or click the download icon to download the podcast and then save it to your device. Mobile users can touch this link to open the Podcasts app or touch this link to open the Stitcher app.
Terry M. Dickson explains how to improve poor self-esteem and be a better dad for your children.
In this episode:
- Why men with ADHD are prone to angry outbursts, and how they can keep from unleashing that rage on loved ones
- How feelings of guilt, shame, and worthlessness build up under the surface, and how to improve poor self-esteem before it harms your family life
- Strategies for accepting the traits, gifts, and idiosyncrasies that make your children unique and give them unconditional love
- How to stop, look, and actively listen when you are spending time with your child
- How think before you promise, and follow through on commitments to your child
- Free Resource: 18 Tips for Parents with ADHD
- Calling Dads with ADHD: How to Have a Calm, Loving Relationship with Your Child
- Exaggerated Emotions: How and Why ADHD Triggers Intense Feelings
- eBook: Your Complete ADHD Guide
- “I was thrilled to see this topic — I am a dad with ADHD, and have not been able to find much information on the topic. I really appreciated and enjoyed the podcast. I’ve wondered how my ADHD affects my temper. Glad to hear advice on being careful with promises since my forgetfulness interferes with keeping them. Thanks!!”
- “He was so honest and grounded in his advice. Not too academic; very practical and honest about his own challenges. Inspiring to me, as a father with ADHD.”
- “Loved his personal stories!! Thanks for sharing with us all you have learned..”
How Do I Listen?
If you don’t see the podcast player at the top of the page, or subscribe to ADDitude’s ADHD Experts podcast somewhere else, follow these instructions:
From your phone or tablet:
You can subscribe to ADDitude’s ADHD Experts podcast in any podcast player. If you’re reading this on an Apple mobile device, touch this link to open the Podcasts app. If you’re reading this on an Android mobile device, touch this link to open the Stitcher app.
From a desktop or laptop:
Click the “play” button at the top of the page to start the episode. Keep that window or tab open on your browser while you listen, or the podcast episode will stop playing.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series, and the audio has been captured from telephone conversations, not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: www.additude.com/webinars/
Updated on July 30, 2019