Podcast Episode #221: “ADHD Plus: Diagnosing and Treating Comorbid Conditions in Children”
Tune in to listen as Mark Bertin, M.D., discusses how an initial ADD evaluation should address the possibility of comorbid diagnoses, how symptoms can look similar, which condition to treat first, and more.
Listen to “ADHD Plus: Diagnosing and Treating Comorbid Conditions in Children” with Mark Bertin, M.D.
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
A mom and her son walk out of the doctor’s office, relieved that the child has received an ADHD diagnosis. Finally, there is an explanation for his attention and emotional struggles at school and at home. Six months later, after taking ADHD medication and seeing mild improvement in some symptoms, they notice that other symptoms have worsened. Another visit with a developmental pediatrician finds, after further testing, that the child also has generalized anxiety disorder. Mom and son throw up their arms.
As it turns out, children (and adults) living with ADHD typically have more going on than ADHD alone. Research suggests that nearly two-thirds have a comorbid condition. From developmental delays to learning disabilities to mental health concerns like mood disorders, these other conditions may be as impactful as ADHD itself. How can we best evaluate and address this all-too-common aspect of ADHD care?
Related recommended resources:
- Is It Just ADHD? Comorbidities That Unlock an Accurate Mental Health Diagnosis
- ADHD and Comorbid Conditions Statistics: Infographic
- When It’s Not Just ADHD: Symptoms of Comorbid Conditions
- Half of All Kids with ADHD Have a Learning Disability or Related Condition
- “Wonderful! Top notch! Thank you so much.”
- “Today’s speaker was fantastic. You can tell he was both passionate and compassionate. Thank you!”
- “This topic was so fascinating. As a parent of children with comorbid conditions, as well as a wife and sister, so many things made sense and clicked. I look forward to more like this one. Thank you!”
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on June 1, 2018. ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.
Mark Bertin, M.D. is a member of the ADDitude Medical Review Panel
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/