“How to Communicate and Connect with a Defiant, Explosive Child” [podcast episode #240]
How do you connect with a child or teen who doesn’t want to talk with you—and who is defensive or angry? Tune in and listen as parenting expert Kirk Martin offers practical strategies for turning explosive situations into opportunities to build trust with your child.
Listen to “How to Communicate and Connect with a Defiant, Explosive Child” with Kirk Martin
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
We’ve all been there. Your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD or ADD) comes home from school, drained and frustrated. You ask him to do something simple like take the dog for a walk or you offer a little help as he struggles with homework. And he lashes out, ignores you, or just shuts down.
How do you connect with a child or teen who doesn’t want to talk with you — and who is defensive, angry, or unresponsive? How can you de-escalate these situations and re-establish domestic tranquility? Here, parenting expert Kirk Martin offers practical strategies for turning these potentially explosive situations into opportunities for building a trusting relationship with your child.
- “This was so helpful! I appreciate all of the tips recommendations to ‘buy this, buy that.’ Thank you!”
- “Great tips for home and school! Connection before correction…I always strive for that. Thank you!”
- “Thank you. I did not know what to expect by listening to this webinar, but I walk away with some wonderful new tools to guide us through our daily life. Our obstacles are definitely about us, and not my son. So eye opening. I look forward to more of these opportunities. Thank you.”
- “Kirk Martin is a great resource. I listen to his podcasts and have purchased his materials. Excellent guest speaker. Thank you.”
Related recommended resources:
- [Self-Test] Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) in Children
- Time for Plan B? 10 Tips for Dealing with an Explosive Child
- What’s Really Behind Your Child’s “Bad” Behavior?
- The Ugly Truth About ADHD and Lying
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on December 5, 2018.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/
The sponsor of this week’s ADDitude webinar is….
Play Attention: Use your screen time wisely. Play a game that can HELP a person with ADHD improve organization and time management skills. Play Attention is the only brain training system that combines both advanced neurofeedback and cognitive training to effectively improve attention, behavior, and learning skills in children and adults with ADHD. Available for home and professional use. https://www.playattention.com.
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.