“How to Parent Your Child or Teen with ADHD Like a Coach” [podcast episode #223]
Tune in: Elaine Taylor-Klaus, PCC, CPCC, and Diane Dempster teach parents of children with ADHD how to shift to a “coach approach” and create systems and structure to make life run more smoothly.
Listen to “How to Parent Your Child or Teen with ADHD Like a Coach” with Elaine Taylor-Klaus, PCC, CPCC, and Diane Dempster
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
If you’ve tried to use reward systems, start a planner habit, or otherwise create a consistently structured environment for a child with ADHD, ODD or anxiety, then you know it never works in real life like it does in the books. You want to get things organized in your home — to make family and school life run more smoothly — but consistency is fleeting, if it sticks at all. You put reminders in place with only the best intentions, but they rarely work as you planned. And, wow, that’s frustrating.
Systems and structures only succeed when you focus on the change you’re trying to achieve, and you can learn to do that with a “coach approach” to problem solving. Here, learn how to get things done — without shouldering every responsibility yourself.
- “Personally I am so GRATEFUL for the time, research, practicality, and honesty that y’all put into this webinar. Thank you for these invaluable strategies.”
- “This was one of the most informational yet simple (in a good way!) webinars I have had the pleasure of listening to. Great info!”
- “Very helpful in what to keep in mind while setting up systems and structures. Some sample system print outs would have been helpful.”
Related recommended resources:
- Less Messy in 30 Days!
- How Chores Can Improve a Child’s Behavior
- 15 Ways to Teach Better Organization to Kids with ADHD
- A Kinder “Time-Out” That Really Works
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on July 11, 2018. ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/
Updated on July 15, 2021