“How to Build Confidence in Your Child with ADHD” [podcast episode 168]
Tune in to this hour-long podcast to hear Kirk Martin explain how to use positive parenting techniques to build your child’s self esteem.
Listen to “How to Build Confidence in Your Child with ADHD” with Kirk Martin
Click the play button below to listen, or click the download icon to download the podcast and then save it to your device. Mobile users can touch this link to open the Podcasts app or touch this link to open the Stitcher app.
Research suggests that, by the age of 12, a child with ADHD will receive 20,000 more negative messages than will her neurotypical peers. Due to attention deficits, impulsivity, and executive function deficits beyond their control, kids with ADHD struggle daily to prove that they measure up to their classmates. Still, they face negative comments and consequences that may crush their self-confidence if not counterbalanced with positive parenting techniques at home.
Kirk Martin explains how to motivate kids and help them develop self-confidence.
In this episode:
- Replace the negative messages about ADHD
- Motivate kids who don’t respond to consequences
- Accentuate kids’ positive qualities and use their gifts and passions in purposeful ways
- Improve attention, focus, impulse control, social skills, and executive function at school by helping teachers give our kids the tools they need to succeed
- Stop power struggles by understanding why your kids are sometimes bossy, cheat at games, become defiant, and have meltdowns
- Why Praise Is So Important for Children with ADHD
- 8 Confidence Builders for Kids with ADHD
- The ADHD Parent’s Soul Shine Kit
- eBook: The ADHD Childcare Guide
- “This was a great podcast! Loved the concrete tools and the spot on descriptions of adult-children interactions in a variety of scenarios. I took a lot away from this hour!! Thank you!!”
- “TRULY the VERY BEST podcast I’ve had the privilege to hear…I’ve listened to many of the years with ADDitude! I am grateful for all you share. “
- “This podcast literally had me in tears! So informative. Thank you!”
How Do I Listen?
If you don’t see the podcast player at the top of the page, or subscribe to ADDitude’s ADHD Experts podcast somewhere else, follow these instructions:
From your phone or tablet:
You can subscribe to ADDitude’s ADHD Experts podcast in any podcast player. If you’re reading this on an Apple mobile device, touch this link to open the Podcasts app. If you’re reading this on an Android mobile device, touch this link to open the Stitcher app.
From a desktop or laptop:
Click the “play” button at the top of the page to start the episode. Keep that window or tab open on your browser while you listen, or the podcast episode will stop playing.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series, and the audio has been captured from telephone conversations, not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: www.additude.com/webinars/
Updated on June 14, 2021