Podcast Episode #236: “Is It ADHD, Autism, or Both? A Parent’s Guide to Social and Emotional Health”
When your child struggles to make friends, and you don’t know why or how to help, it’s heart-wrenching. Mark Bertin, M.D., explains how ADHD and autism spectrum disorder impact kids socially, behaviorally, and emotionally, and effective interventions.
Listen to “Is It ADHD, Autism, or Both? A Parent’s Guide to Social and Emotional Health” with Mark Bertin, M.D.
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
Among a parent’s most heart-wrenching challenges is watching a child struggle to make friends or get along on the playground — and feeling powerless to help. It’s not always clear what’s going on and how you can best help, particularly when living with a diagnosis such as ADHD and/or autism spectrum disorder. What social concerns go along with ADHD? What challenges are specific to autism?And what should a parent do when the two conditions overlap?
When parents are armed with the facts about signs and symptoms of ADHD and autism — and how each condition affects a child socially, behaviorally, and emotionally — they can work with the pediatrician to nail down an accurate diagnosis and get the most effective evidence-based supports to help that child thrive socially.
- “I thought your speaker today was extremely knowledgeable and, equally important, interesting and easy to listen to.”
- “Dr. Bertin sounds extremely knowledgeable! He packed so much in the time frame. I had trouble keeping up with note-taking!”
- “Thank you!
This was very much needed! I need to re-watch it because it has so much good information!”
- “The discussion about finding behavior therapy was very useful. It is an area where I wasn’t sure where to start.”
- [Self-Test] Is My Child Autistic? Signs of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Free Download: What Every Thorough ADHD Diagnosis Includes
- 4 Autism Myths — Dispelled
- Autism and ADHD: The Complete Playbook for Social Challenges
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on October 23, 2018.
Mark Bertin, M.D., is a member of the ADDitude ADHD Medical Review Panel.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/
NEBA®: Happy, healthy brains and no prescription required! NEBA Health’s Brain Booster supplement is packed with great-tasting, optimal ratios of Omega-3s to support brain health in kids and adults! Visit nebahealth.com to learn more.
ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.