Listen to “The ADHD-ODD Connection,” with David Anderson, Ph.D.
Tune in to hear as David Anderson, Ph.D., helps parents understand their child’s oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) diagnosis and find effective interventions.
Listen to “The ADHD-ODD Connection” with David Anderson, Ph.D.
Click here to view the original webinar broadcast and accompanying slides.
Research shows that a significant percentage of children with ADHD meet the criteria for a diagnosis of oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), a closely related mental health disorder characterized by a well-established pattern of behavior problems that is often diagnosed in early childhood. ADHD and ODD are associated with stigma and public misconception, leaving many parents wondering how to be sure about their child’s diagnosis; how to find effective, research-based interventions; and how to best support their child at home or at school.
The first step for any parent is to understand how clinicians make diagnostic distinctions between ADHD and ODD — and how to partner with a provider on an appropriately targeted intervention. Non-medication interventions for ADHD and ODD often require effort and time from already-busy parents and teachers. It’s important for parents to be well-informed about treatments that work and how best to advocate for their child.
- “Our son has never officially been diagnosed as ODD, but presents all the symptoms routinely. Thank you for helping us learn more about this topic and locate resources.”
- “Very helpful. I am a professional working with parents of young children with behavioral challenges. It was good to know more about the ADHD-ODD connection and to ensure the strategies I am using are appropriate for ADHD/ODD populations.”
- “Excellent presenter. Very knowledgeable with practical suggestions for both parents, caregivers and educators.”
Related recommended resources:
- Free Download: How to Neutralize Your Child’s Anger
- [Self-Test] Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) in Children
- Why Is My Child So Angry and Defiant? An Overview of Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Time for Plan B? 10 Tips for Dealing with an Explosive Child
This ADHD Experts webinar was first broadcast live on January 22, 2019. ADDitude thanks our sponsors for supporting our webinars. Sponsorship has no influence on speaker selection or webinar content.
Note on audio quality: This podcast is a recording of a webinar series. The audio has been captured from live conversations (sometimes over a telephone), not recorded in a studio. Register to participate in the live webinars at: additude.com/webinars/
Updated on February 6, 2020