Ask the Experts

ODD and Public Education

“My six-year-old has been diagnosed with ADD and oppositional defiant disorder. I can’t pay for the individualized instruction I’ve been told he needs. What can I ask his public school to do for him?”

If you don’t have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) in place, you may want to consider one.

Work closely with the staff at school to develop a plan that will give your son the greatest chance for success. Accommodations may include close supervision by an adult, alternate plans for unstructured time, and a behavioral reward system set up by you and your school. Creating the best environment for your son may involve a lengthy process of trial and error, so do your best to be a great observer-and keep notes.