The Ultimate List of Mindfulness Exercises
Mindfulness can strengthen focus, manage stress, and improve emotional reactivity. But how do you use it in everyday life? Start here, with this list of recommended activities, apps, books, and online resources for children, parents, and teachers.
Can Mindfulness Help with ADHD?
A daily dose of mindfulness, at home or in school, improves attention, boosts self-esteem, and helps kids better monitor their emotions.
“Research indicates that brain training involving mindfulness practices can strengthen areas of the brain responsible for attention, emotional control, and problem solving,” say psychologists Kirk Strosahl and Patricia Robinson, authors of In This Moment. “There is emerging evidence that mindfulness-based brain training produces permanent structural changes in the brain.”
Here, find exercises, apps, and resources to help teachers and caregivers lead the yoga and mindfulness exercises shown to help children with ADHD.
- Mindful Games Activity Cards: 55 Fun Ways to Share Mindfulness with Kids and Teens
- Mindful Movements: Ten Exercises for Well Being
- Yoga Pretzels: 50 Fun Yoga Activities for Kids & Grownups
Apps for Adults
Apps for Kids
- A Still Quiet Place by Dr. Amy Saltzman
- Babar’s Yoga for Elephants by Laurent De Brunhoff
- Good Morning Yoga by Miriam Gates
- Happy Dreamer by Peter Reynolds
- I am Yoga by Susan Verde
- Imaginations by Carolyn Clarke
- Master of Mindfulness by Laurie Grossman and Angela Alvarez
- The Mindful Child by Susan Kaiser Greenland
- The MindUP Curriculum: Brain-Focused Strategies for Learning and Living for Grades PK-2 by the Hawn Foundation
- Moody Cow Meditates by Kerry Lee MacLean
- Peaceful Piggy Meditation by Kerry Lee MacLean
- Sitting Still Like a Frog by Eline Snel
- Yoga Kids by Marsha Wenig
- Your Fantastic Elastic Brain: Stretch It, Shape It by JoAnn Deak, Ph.D.
Helpful Articles & Education
- 3 Kid-Friendly Meditations Your Children Will Love
- 7 Fun Ways to Teach Your Kids Mindfulness
- How to Find Time to Meditate
- Palouse Mindfulness: Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Online Class
- The Still Quiet Place by Dr. Amy Saltzman
Videos and Podcasts
- Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
- Mindful Meditation at the Hammer
- Teaching the ABCs of Attention, Balance and Compassion by Susan Kaiser Greenland