Maintaining Motivation with Adult ADD
“My entire life, I have struggled to stay motivated. I work full-time and study music; while the desire is there, the push to ‘do’ is not, and as a result, my school and work performance is suffering. What do I do?”
Sometimes we lose sight of why things are important to us.
Taking the time to sit down and write a list why music is valuable to you will be worth the effort put into the exercise. Once you have done this, carry the list with you or post it in a place where you will read it often.
If you do not have a vision of what role music will have for you in the future, you will also lack the motivation needed to stick with your practices and enjoy them. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Will I be making my living performing or will I be playing part-time at weddings and events as a hobby?
- What level of ability am I striving to attain with practicing? How good do I want to be?
- What will it take to get there?
- What have I done in the past to play as well as I do now and how did I make that happen? What aspect of my music am I most proud about? What was the one performance that I enjoyed the most?
- What will be the one accomplishment in the future that will give me the most satisfaction? What are two other music goals that I would like to achieve?
- What do I value that makes music such an important part of my life?
- What three things can I do that will make my music goals happen?
When you can align your music goals with who you are as a person and what you value in life, the steps to make your goals happen become clearer and the process involved becomes enriched. Musical talent is not something that everyone is blessed with, so be grateful and enjoy it. When it comes time to practicing, don’t ask yourself what you need to do, ask yourself what you want to do.
Many colleges and universities offer student health care plans that may meet your needs and be affordable. Check to find out what is available through student services at your college.
Updated on December 7, 2016