Ask the Experts

How to Discipline a Child with Comorbid Conditions

“M son was diagnosed with severe onset OCD, anxiety disorder, and ADHD. I am concerned with how to discipline him, when I don’t know if his behaviors are intentional or uncontrollable.”

If your son has OCD, an anxiety disorder, and ADHD, he should be under the care of a competent child and adolescent psychiatrist to assess the need for medication. This professional or another should be working with you and your son to help him manage and cope with these disorders.

If you are not sure how to understand his behaviors and how to respond, discuss your concerns with these professionals. If you are not working with someone, please find someone to see.