Book Review: How Rude! The Teenager’s Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
This light and lively manual is jam-packed with practical real-world advice teens will love, from how-tos on bathroom-sharing to tips on cyberspace etiquette.
by Alex J. Packer, Ph.D. Free Spirit, $19.95
Purchase How Rude!
Helping your teen become socially skilled is worth the effort. How Rude! can make it an easier proposition. Author Alex J. Packer, Ph.D., suggests the following when your teen is being introduced:
- Assume the position. If you’re not already standing, stand up. Use good posture. Don’t fidget or pace.
- Make eye contact. Give people a friendly, welcoming look. Don’t stare into space or study your shoes.
- Shake hands. Exert enough pressure so they know they’re shaking a hand, not an overcooked piece of linguine.
- Express a greeting. You can’t go wrong with “How do you do?” A warm “Hello” or “Pleased to meet you” are suitable substitutes. Save “Yo” and “Hey” for people around your age.
- Converse. If the introducer did his job, he gave you a clue about the person to whom you were introduced. Follow up with related questions and/or comments.