Ask the Experts

How Do I Change My Child’s IEP?

“I came up with what I thought was an effective accommodation for my daughter at a 504 Plan meeting, but after a month, I realized that it wasn’t helping her. How can I swap this out for something that would work better?”

You can request changes to an IEP or a 504 Plan if something is not working. How you do this depends on the nature of the change you want to make. If it is a small, classroom-based accommodation, to be implemented by the teacher, you should speak to the teacher and, if he or she agrees to make the change, just do it. You should remember to raise this at the next 504 team meeting, and make it a formal part of your child’s 504 Plan at that time.

If the change is more extensive, or needs to be implemented by staff other than the classroom teacher, it should be part of a formal change to the 504 Plan. To do this, begin with a written note to the head of the school’s 504 team, explaining what you want to change and why. Ask whether this can be done without a meeting. If it can’t, ask to schedule a meeting of the 504 team to consider and implement this change in your daughter’s plan.