Ask the Experts

How Can We Help Our Troubled Child?

“Our 11-year-old son has ADHD (and takes Adderall, Depakote, and Seroquel) and has been under psychiatric care for 5 years, but he’s still unhappy, says he hates himself and harbors a lot of anger. Who can help?”

You describe a very troubled child. Based on the medications he is on, someone thinks that he has bipolar disorder not ADHD. You need to go to where he can be evaluated by a competent mental health team. Don’t wait. His problems sound serious.