Q: “How Can I Keep My Many, Many, Many Hobby Supplies Organized?”
If there is an organizer made for your hobby or passion project, buy it. Keep all hobby and passion project supplies in one location. And more rules for keeping hobby supplies organized.
Q: “How do I organize supplies for a hobby or a passion project that I happen to have tons of stuff for, like quilting? Is it possible to have too many hobby items?”
I love scrapbooking, and I have all the scrapbooking stuff. My father-in-law loves fishing, and his collection of fishing rods covers the walls of his garage. Sure, it’s a lot of fishing rods, but it’s part of his hobby, and they’re all organized.
The way I see it, there are a few basic rules when pursuing hobbies and passion projects:
- Limit yourself to a maximum of three hobbies or passion projects. Any more than that is too difficult to manage. If you’re like me and you’ve had eight passion projects in your lifetime, you need to start whittling those down to the ones you’re willing to invest your time and effort in.
- If there is an organizer made for your hobby or passion project, buy it. These organizers are designed with the activity in mind, and they make storing its items much easier. If quilting is your hobby, buy a sewing accessories organizer with right-sized compartments for threads and spools, needles, and so on.
- You’re allowed to buy and keep it all. Decluttering is never required when you see value in every single item related to your hobby. That said…
- Keep all hobby and passion project supplies in one location. As long as your quilting stuff all fits wherever you put it — be it under the bed or in a spare bedroom — you’re allowed to keep it.
Hobby Supplies Organization: Next Steps
- Free Download: 10 Ways to Get Organized This Weekend
- Read: “Upcycling: My (Guilt-Free) ADHD Obsession”
- Read: How Do I Organize My Art Supplies and Craft Room?
The content for this article was derived from the ADDitude ADHD Experts webinar titled, “Your Organized Home: Functional Organization for Your Life Phase Right Now” [Video Replay & Podcast #463] with Lisa Woodruff, which was broadcast on July 19, 2023.
CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF ADDITUDE
Since 1998, ADDitude has worked to provide ADHD education and guidance through webinars, newsletters, community engagement, and its groundbreaking magazine. To support ADDitude’s mission, please consider subscribing. Your readership and support help make our content and outreach possible. Thank you.