Help Your Kids Make Friends
Forming friendships can be difficult for children who have ADHD. Here are tips to make it easier when you want to invite a friend over to play.
- Plan on making the first visit short (the length of a movie or about an hour). Gradually increase time together on subsequent visits.
- Before the friend comes over, discuss with your child what activities they might enjoy together. Limit solitary activities such as video games.
- Put away your child’s “sacred possessions” — the toys or other special items he doesn’t want touched.
- Go over house rules for having friends over — what they can and cannot do.
- Teach guest etiquette, such as “Let the guest choose the first activity,” and “Take turns.”
Updated on April 5, 2017