Ask the Experts

Getting Adequate Care Overseas

“I recently moved to England, and I’m having trouble finding a doctor who’s knowledgeable about ADHD. How can I get appropriate care?”

Unfortunately, few clinicians in the United Kingdom consider ADHD a treatable neurological disorder. They view symptoms like inattentiveness and hyperactivity as evidence of a behavioral problem. Stimulant medications used to treat ADHD are available in the U.K., if you can find a doctor who will prescribe them. Consult a support group (find one at or Or, the next time you’re back in the U.S., see a doctor, have a prescription filled, and ask your pharmacist about having refills sent to you in England.

Diagnosing and Medicating Young Children