My Forum Comments

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: ADHD + Gifted = "Average"? #58213


    I would push for an IEP under IDEA to have more input over your child’s accommodations in my opinion. Don’t give up on your kid, be persistent and go as far as you have to go, we’re the only advocates they have in the shcool public system.

    This is an excerpt from “Educational Rights for Children with ADHD in Public Schools” by the National Resource Center on AHDHD.

    IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is the federal law that provides special education and related
    services needed for an eligible child with a disability to benefit from the child’s education. Services received under IDEA are often referred to as “special education.” An
    Individualized Education Program (IEP; sometimes called an Individualized Education Plan) is designed specifically for each eligible child with disabilities to provide a free
    appropriate public education (FAPE).

    Who is Eligible?
    A child is eligible for services under IDEA if he or she is identified with a qualified disability and, “by reason thereof,” needs special education and related services. A child with ADHD may qualify if the ADHD seriously impacts the child’s learning and/or behavior at school.

    To qualify for IDEA, a child must meet the criteria of at least one of 13 disability categories. Often children with ADHD will qualify under the Other Health Impairment (OHI)
    category. They may also qualify under Specific Learning Disabilities (SLD) or Severe Emotional Disturbance (SED).

  • in reply to: ADHD + Gifted = "Average"? #56945


    First you need a diagnosis from a doctor/neurologist to support your claim. Second, request the meeting with the school officials and have that information on hand, let them know that you will go to district and raise hell if your child doesn’t get reasonable accommodations through an IEP (he can have both gifted classes and ADHD accomodations). By law the school districts have to work with you. If you are a single mom and your child may have Medicaid (not making an assumption just throwing this out there for other parents in similar situations) then the Federal Govt. is paying a Federal share for these services and I don’t see why the school wouldn’t want to work with you, the school even gets a Federal Share to cover admin costs.

    I have to go on a vacation shortly but please update post if you don’t get nowhere and I will get all the Federal criteria related to IEPs, your child is entitled to a reasonable accommodation because of his ADHD and intelligence is not a factor nor a criteria to get it. My son has a high IQ in the 3rd std deviation (fluid reasoning) yet he needs reasonable accommodation due to his ADHD in order to succeed and get good grades.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)