Workplace accomodations for ADD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Workplace accomodations for ADD

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      confusednarwhal
      Participant

My husband has ADD and he does great at his jobs, but after about a year of being in a job, he struggles to stay motivated and gets depressed. We’ve been married 7 years and he’s had at least 4 jobs, though each one he’s left of his own accord and gotten a better job in the process. He also struggles to fall asleep at a reasonable hour (every time he tries, his body keeps him up) and his job is now hammering in on him being signed in by 9am. He’s done well in workplaces that are more flexible about when you do your work. We’re trying to figure out if this is a situation where small accommodations would help, or if he should look for a new job. Does anyone have experiences with getting work accommodations for ADD? Or helping a spouse stay in one workplace?

twithat
      Participant

What kind of work does he do?

Gazettechan
      Participant

I think it really depends on his job. If you tell us, I think we can help.

confusednarwhal
      Participant

He’s a fully remote computer programmer

Rose
      Participant

Perhaps a more creative role that is continuously evolving would keep your spouse more engaged and lead to a longer term commitment. I have a second job as a consultant that provides a lot of flexibility and theres always new projects so the novelty helps.

confusednarwhal
      Participant

Good point!

CharlieC
      Participant

Hey, I was in a similar boat working at a top tech company (remotely) and was fired, only to end up at a smaller, early-stage startup that was more accommodating.

This has caused a huge increase in quality of life for me!

I get up later, don’t have to rush in the mornings, and get work done at strange times, but they don’t care as at the end of the day I’m doing good work.

confusednarwhal
      Participant

That’s exactly what he needs! Glad to hear you found it!

Dr. Eric
      Participant

I find that awareness of my diagnosis gets me more than any accommodation.
      This is mainly due to the fact that I work under legally mandates timelines.
      So, any of the common accommodations would be considered “unreasonable” and grounds for finding me unfit for the position.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.