Working Adult Studying/College Ed. Tips

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Working Adult Studying/College Ed. Tips

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  roadrunner 5 days, 2 hours ago.

• Author

stella1013
    Participant

Any tips for working adults who have been also doing any schooling? Do you let the school know of your ADHD? Study tips? I was diagnosed a few years ago at the age of 35. I’m 39 now. I would like to go back and get my Masters but I’m not sure I could really cut it especially with the cost involved. I’ve got to find a better way to study because I’m finding that even a single class is taxing me. I’ve not had such a struggle growing up. Sure I didn’t make straight A’s but I was at least I could say I was average. But I’m lucky if I don’t fail and stakes are higher. My recall and processing are slower than ever. I know I know the answers I just can’t pull them out. Or I can’t focus enough to get things done. I’m on Adderall IR 10mg 2x/day, which sometimes I do forget to take the afternoon dose. I will talk to my doctor to change to something else that last 13 hours. But even when fully dosed during the day I don’t feel like I’m taking anything in. I also suffer from chemo brain and post-surgical menopause…So frustrating. Anyway, I think I also need to relearn, how to learn and/or study. The neurotypical way just isn’t cutting it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Bae
    Participant

My son is ADHD and seems to suffer from rejection and sensitivity issues. He is in therapy and takes Adderall. He’s in college ( second time around). He seems to be doing well making All A’s and B’s. However he continues to doubt and uses negative self talk. How can I help him. He’s 32 and single. I support him so he can to go to school full time. I , too, need tools to help him structure his thinking. Can someone provide a resource?

stella1013
      Participant

Hi Bae
      Sorry, you all are having a hard time. Something I learned quite late in life is to use todo lists. It helps at work and at home. I read that a lot of us with ADHD struggle in our teenage years, not because of hormones but because we are then forced to be more self-sufficient. Whereas in grade school we had our parents help. I never learned about todo lists until I was 36 years old.

Before that, I used todo lists for groceries. I never knew they could be helpful in terms of organizing my life, remembering and getting things done. I’m not always perfect with my lists. And I have a long way to go in terms of accepting myself with ADHD. It’s good that he is doing therapy and taking his meds. Time since my diagnosis 4 years ago has dulled some of the pain of feeling like I ‘could’ve been better’ or ‘do I really have ADHD’.

The lists help a lot. But I do think there is something that I’m lacking when it comes to studying.

roadrunner
    Participant

Hello. I can relate to being a mom, working full time and recently having to take classes for work. I have thought about getting my master’s as well but lack the confidence and worried about affording it too. Some things that helped me study and stay focused is writing things down while I am studying and in class. I have difficulty recalling the information so writing it down helps me stay focused and I can look at later. Studying for tests I try to do in short repetitive increments. Too long and I get bored. If a little bit each day if possible is more manageable plus the repetition helps me retain it for a test. Basically trying to get the information in my brain long enough to pass a test. I also highlight key words that can trigger me to remember the rest of the information and again repeat, repeat and repeat. Unfortunately, I have never been able to retain most information long term but it helps me pass classes and tests. It was much easier when I was not working and have kids. I could spend most of my energy on school and was determined to prove that I was not stupid. That worked when I was younger but not so much motivated by this now with all the other demands.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.