WORK ACCOMMODATIONS FOR ADD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults WORK ACCOMMODATIONS FOR ADD

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ADHDmomma 1 year ago.

• Author

MYFIGHT
    Participant

I was only diagnosed two years ago. I’m 47. I’m still learning about what it means for me and how I have learned coping mechanisms over my lifetime.

I’m in a new job that has no structure or guidance other than ‘the government directive’. It is a new position, and there isn’t anyone to lean on to ask how it was done in the past, or follow in someone else’s footsteps. I’ve asked for reasonable accommodations to assist me in pretty much every aspect of the job. (Organization, alternate learning methods, coaches, etc.). The job doesn’t have a lot to offer that is interesting to me, so I get bored easily.

Because there is no structure, I get overwhelmed when trying to figure out where to start, then when I do start, I get overwhelmed on what needs to be done…and then stop.

The help I’ve asked for doesn’t seem too outrageous, but I was told ‘if we can’t accommodate you, then you may be out of a job if you can’t do it.’

I feel like I could do the job, if I could ‘see it, and do it’, but other than ‘follow the guidance’ I don’t know where else to go.

The same mantra keeps going through my head: “I need to know how to drive the car, not how to build one”.

vanilla5326
    Participant

You sound to me like you’re doing a lot of things right. You may have already seen it but it seems great for productivity, the “ADDitude + webinar + 7 ways to be more productive and crush it at work—- Alan Brown”. Not all webinars are what I’m -looking for- but I thought this webinar had good tips for everyone. Also do you have a Good written Job Description to refer back to. Tell them you’d like a more specific one “because I just want to be sure I’m doing everything right for you guys” You may want to ask your boss for that and then as another accommodation (I don’t even think this is an accommodation -ask for more frequent feedback on the work you are doing? And once again you sound like your on the right track- sit back and figure out the most important thing to do right now. See the forrest. I hope this is helpful! Good Luck! Have a great weekend!

ADHDmomma
    Keymaster

Here’s the webinar replay mentioned:

Free Webinar Replay: 7 Ways to Be More Productive — and Crush It at Work or School

I also thought about a thorough job description. And, maybe writing your own job manual — a step-by-step guide for all the tasks and responsibilities of your position. You could keep it in a 3-ring binder, and keep adding to it each time your complete a task not yet outlined.

Penny
    ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.