Why is ADD an “outdated” term?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ Why is ADD an “outdated” term?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      CeJayCe
      Participant

Every resource I’ve looked at calls ADD “outdated” but never specifies why. Am I the only one with inattentive that feels like ADHD is a misleading term? I almost always say ADD instead of ADHD when referring to myself.

Does anyone know why ADD fell out of fashion?

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by CeJayCe.
      Lottie1522
      Participant

My post is awaiting moderation. But the YouTube video I was sharing was from a channel called ‘How to ADHD’ the video is called ‘Why my channel is called How to ADHD (not ADD)’.

Dr. Eric
      Participant

In reality, both terms are horrible.

There is no deficit in attention, but rather an inability to prioritize and control attention.
      If anything, you are trying to pay attention to too much.

I like to use the noisy diner example, I pay as much attention to the couple arguing in the corner, wondering how long the dude is going to remain on his phone when he has a beautiful date sitting with him, wondering what the back story of the eccentric-looking dude in the corner, trying not to stare at the cleavage tattoo next to me, and replaying the last meeting at work in my mind… as I am the person that I am talking with.

We actually have a test for this specific example, it is called “auditory figure-ground”.

Lottie1522
      Participant

I like the videos on this channel and this one explains why ADD is outdated 😊

Penny Williams
      Keymaster

The official diagnosis in the current DSM is ADHD – Inattentive Type. ADD doesn’t appear in the DSM anymore.

What Are the 3 Types of ADHD?

Penny
      ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism

Gazettechan
      Participant

This is a very informative thread.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.